Laserfiche WebLink
ORDINANCE NO. 1463 <br />AN ORDINANCE OF THE TOWN OF LOS GATOS AMENDING <br />THE ZONING ORDINANCE EFFECTING ZONE CHANGE <br />NO. 38 FROM R -1:8, RM:5 -12, RM:5 -20 -R <br />AND C -2 TO R -1:8 -LHP, RM:5 -12 -LHP, RM:5 -20 -R -LHP <br />AND C -2 -LHP (ALMOND GROVE HISTORIC DISTRICT) <br />THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF LOS GATOS ORDAINS: <br />SECTION 1. <br />The district delineated on the attached map is hereby designated <br />historically and culturally significant as the Almond Grove Historic <br />District HD -80 -1. <br />SECTION 2. <br />The district is designated to be historically, architecturally, or <br />aesthetically significant for the reasons listed below: <br />A. Property: Almond Grove District. Boundaries: Bean to the <br />south, Massol to the west, to but not including the lots <br />facing Saratoga Avenue to the north, and to be not including <br />the lots facing North Santa Cruz Avenue to the east (see map). <br />B. Historic designation no.: HD -80 -1 <br />C. Description of designation: District <br />D. Description of characteristics which justify the designation: <br />Historical The Almond Grove addition was the first and largest <br />subdivision after the incorporation of the Town of Los Gatos. <br />Of approximately 40 acres, the historic tract was the last land, <br />formerly an almond orchard as its name suggests, of 1622 acres <br />bought in 1865 by John Mason from Edward Auzerais, an important <br />landowner in Santa Clara County after whom Auzerais Street in <br />San Jose and Auzerais Court in Los Gatos are named. <br />The purchasers and developers of Almond Grove were four very <br />important figures to Los Gatos history and honored by street <br />names still used in the area. They were Alphonse Eli Wilder, <br />banker; Augustine Nicholson, capitalist; Magnus Tait, farmer <br />and miner; and John Bean, orchardist. <br />